HOME SWEET HOME
Dormitories and Barracks
J.A. Jones constructed eight dormitories and 17 barracks in Happy Valley to accommodate about 3,500 persons. The dormitories were two-story, steam-heated frame structures; each included a living room and inside toilet and shower facilities. There were two female dorms and six male facilities. The barracks were one-story, pre-fabricated structures constructed of lower-grade materials than the dormitories.
Trailers, supplied by the Federal Public Housing, were placed in groups around community bath houses.
About 100 small "Victory Homes" were built for contractor foremen and their families. The pre-fabricated homes of higher quality construction featured indoor toilets.
Cafeterias were scattered throughout the site, close to work and living quarters. During their shift, workers could eat at the K-25 main cafeteria, the Power House area cafeteria, or at the process building lunch rooms.
Happy Valley and Wheat Colony cafeterias offered meals near "home." Happy Valley cafeterias served over 300,000 field lunches; another two million sandwiches were sold at canteens.
In November 1943, a 34,000-square-foot school opened to accommodate all school-aged children on-site. About 1,800 students, in grades 1 through 12, attended the school.
SHOPPING AND SERVICES
Just like any other town, the 17,000 residents needed groceries, clothing, and services. The construction contractors responded with grocery and meat stores, a bakery, barber and beauty shops, and shoe and dry good stores. Community centers offered numerous recreational activities (see Play). A Refrigeration Plant and Cold Storage Plant provided storage for perishables and ice making facilities for drinking water and domestic use.